Comparing Sprinter Van Models: Which One Is Right for You?
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vans carry a reputation for performance and quality. The class-leading 20,000-mile service intervals and standard tech features like Active Brake Assist ensure reliability and safety. Thanks to the different Sprinter van models and customization options, you can find the perfect configuration for your personal, commercial, or recreational needs.
In this article, we will compare different Sprinter models and available features to help you choose the best van for your specific needs.
What are the key differences between Sprinter Cargo and Passenger Vans?
The first step in the process of choosing a Sprinter van model is to decide whether the primary need is to transport people or cargo and equipment.
- Passenger models contain seating for 12 to 15 people, while the Cargo version can accommodate the driver and one or two passengers.
- Cargo models can hold up to 469 cu ft of equipment, cargo, or materials. Passenger models, meanwhile, can hold up to 117 cu ft of cargo or equipment.
Obviously, Passenger vans are primarily for transporting people, but Cargo models can carry goods or materials, transport equipment, or serve as mobile workshops. Cargo Sprinters are also popular among outdoor enthusiasts, who can convert them into campervans.
How does the Sprinter’s size and dimensions vary across models?
Decisions about seating and purpose are the first step in choosing the best Sprinter van model. You can fine-tune your choice by opting for 2500, 3500, or 4500 models. Each offers different capabilities.
- All Passenger models are Sprinter 2500s. A 3,307-lb payload capacity is available on the 144″ wheelbase versions.
- Sprinter 2500 Cargo vans can hold up to 4,211 lbs in the 144″ wheelbase configuration.
- Sprinter 3500 Cargo vans are for drivers who need to take heavier equipment or move larger loads. 3500 Cargo models can hold up to 4,699 lbs (144″ standard models). Extended (XD) vans increase this to 5,622 lbs.
- Sprinter 4500s are for drivers who consistently carry heavy loads or have weighty equipment necessary for a mobile workshop. Standard 4500 models (144″ wheelbase) can tote an impressive 6,735 lbs.
Cargo volume can be important if you carry material, make deliveries, or need the maximum space for customization.
- Standard vans can hold 319 cu ft of cargo.
- High-roof and extended (XD) models can increase volume. For example, the 3500XD High Cargo van accommodates 430 cu ft.
High models can also allow extra space with a standing height of 79″, making them ideal for recreational customizations or mobile workshops.
What are the available engine options for Sprinter vans, and how do they perform?
Sprinter vans have three different standard powertrains. The one you choose depends on your needs for torque, pulling power, and performance.
4-cylinder Diesel Standard Output engines provide 170 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. These engines come with an RWD drivetrain and can tow approximately 5,000 lbs.
4-cylinder Diesel High Output engines deliver 211 hp and 332 lb-ft. With this extra power, Sprinters can tow 7,500 lbs and handle larger payloads. If you are towing heavier equipment or filling the cargo area near capacity, these engines can give you the extra muscle needed.
4-cylinder Diesel High Output models are also available with all-wheel drive. The AWD lowers fuel economy, but it can provide better traction and stability for winter driving or driving off-road.
What are the standout features and technology offerings in Sprinter van models?
All Sprinter passenger models come with Active Brake Assist and Emergency Call. Other features, including 360-degree view, blindspot mirrors, and lane-keeping assistance, are optional.
MBUX Multimedia Systems are also available as an upgrade. You can select a 7″ or 10.25″ touchscreen with hands-free controls, optional navigation, and available wireless charging.
These features bring additional conveniences or safety, but you should ask yourself how often you plan to use them before adding them to your Sprinter.
Explore Sprinter Van Models at Ray Catena Edison
After you narrow down your search, it’s time to visit Ray Catena Edison. Our experienced sales team is here to aid you in comparing models, features, and options to ensure you make an informed choice for your business or personal needs.
Whether you need a cargo or passenger van or something more customized, we have you covered. Contact us today to schedule a test drive and find the Sprinter van for your needs.